4th Vice Chancellor
Dr. K.Ananda Kannan M.S.(Ophth), D.O., M.A.M.S.,
4th Vice-Chancellor of TNMGRMU
|Name||Dr. K.Ananda Kannan M.S.(Ophth), D.O., M.A.M.S.,|
|Date of Birth||25th October, 1944|
|Address||Res.: 59, (Old No.30), Fifth Street,
Padmanaba Nagar, Adyar,
Chennai – 600 020.
|Telephone No||044 - 491 46 22|
|Position||4th Vice-Chancellor The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University|
|Period||from 27.01.1999 to 07.02.2002|
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Eye Bank Association of India (E.B.A.I.)
- All India Ophthalmic Society
- Tamilnadu Ophthalmic Association.
- Eye Bank Association of India
- Member, Academy of Medical Sciences
- Chairman – Eye Bank Association of India, South Zone, 1994-97.
- Selection Committee for TANSA Award’99 constituted by the Tamilnadu State Council for Science & Technology.
- Selection Committee, Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Centenary Award, constituted by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- PG Board of Studies – Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University 1993-96
- PG Board of Studies in Faculty of Medicine, Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai
Former Post & Designation
- Vice-Chancellor The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University (from 27.01.1999 to 07.02.2002)
- Director & Superintendent, Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Government Ophthalmic Hospital, Egmore, Chennai – 600 008.
- Prof. & HOD of Ophthalmology, Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Entered into Tamilnadu Medical Service as Asst. Surgeon in 1968 and held teaching posts as Lecturer, Asst. Professor, Reader, Addl. Professor and Professor since 1974
Super Specialisation & Eye-banking & Corneal Transplantation
- Area of interest Medical Director, Lions Model Eye Bank Regional Institute of Ophthalmology & Ophthalmic Hospital, Chennai
- Chairman – Organising Committee.
- 2nd International Conference on AIDS India 2000 held at Chennai.
- Executive Director, AIOS Conference, Chennai – January 2000.
- Chairman, South Zone Ophthalmic Conference, Chennai – August ’96.
- Handled UG & PG teaching for 28 years in taking regular lectures, seminars, symposia and journal club.
- Professor of Ophthalmology & HOD June ’97 Jan. ’99
- Director & Superintendent Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Addl. Professor of Ophthalmology, Mar. ’90 May ’97 Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Reader in Ophthalmology, July ’86 Feb. ‘90 Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Reader in Ophthalmology, Apr. ’84 June ’86 Chengalpattu Medical College, Chengalpattu.
- Asst. Professor in Ophthalmology, Apr. 74 Mar. ’84 Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Tutor in Ophthalmology, Apr. ’71 Mar. ’74 PG student at Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Examinership for UG & PG Had been UG & PG examiner in Ophthalmology for 15 years from 1984 onwards in 17 Universities at Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka & Kerala.
- Dissertation Valuation for AIIMS May ’95 to Dec. ’98 and PGIMER Expert in valuation of Dissertation in Topics on Cornea and Eye Bank.
- Development of Model Eye Bank In collaboration with Lions Dt. 324A1 at Regional Institute, Govt. established ‘Model Eye Bank’ at a cost of Rs.50 lakhs.
- Representation in University Member, Board of Studies in Tamilnadu bodies as Professor in Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University (1990-94) Ophthalmology
- Member, P.G. Board of Studies in Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai (1996-98)
- National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
- Inspection for accreditation of Sir Gangaram Hospital, Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi – 110 060.
- Inspection for accreditation of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Prashanthigram, Anantapur District.
- Medical Council of India
- Executive Member – MCI.
- Member in the high level Committee constituted for Revision of National Health Policy-1983 & Formation Working Groups.
- Member – Study Group on the system of Health Sciences Universities vis-à-vis General Universities
- Served as member – Dr. B.C. Roy National Award Fund Scrutiny Committee for the year 1999.
- Member –Sub-Committee on the development of draft discipline on domestic regulations under GATS.
- Member – Inspection Committee and inspected the following colleges
- Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur for starting of M.S.(Ophth.) D.O. Courses.
- J.S.S. Medical College, Mysore for starting of M.S.(Ophth) & D.O. Courses.
- Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur for training of Undergraduate (MBBS) students.
- Fr. Muller’s Charitable Institute, Mangalore for establishment of a new Medical College.
- Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal for increase of seats in MBBS
- NIITE Educational Trust, Mangalore for new Medical College renewal permission.
- Fr. Muller’s Charitable Institute, Mangalore for starting M.S.(Ophth) & D.O. Courses.
- Overseas Observership
- Masschussets Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston – 1994 & 96
- Georgetown University Hospital, Washington 1994
- Gensee Valley Eye Care, Rochester, New York, 1994
- Brown University, Rhode Island, 1996
Oration & Awards Oration
- Dr. Joseph Gnanadickam Gold Medal Oration on Keratoplastry
- Dr.(Mrs.) Soundram Endowment Oration on Health Education at Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University), Gandhigram.
- First Tambaram IMA Ophthalmologist Endowment Oration at Chennai.
- Dr. Viswanathan Oration on Current Concepts – Corneal Transplantation organised by IMA, Trichy.
- Late Dr. R.H. Karmarkar Foundation Oration on Ethics in Medical Education organised by the International College of Surgeons at Chennai.
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Served as Examiner for MD Ophthalmology
- Member – Planning Board Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai.
- Served in the PG Board of Studies
- Served as Examiner for UG & PG examinations.
- Served as Examiner for UG & PG examinations.
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute (D.U.), Chennai.
- Served in PG Board of Studies in Faculty of Medicine, University of Madras
- Served in the Advisory Committee for Ph.D., Bangalore University.
- Served as examiner for Ph.D. in Ophthalmology
Association of Indian Universities
- Attended the South Zone Vice-Chancellors’ Conference held at Pondicherry University, Sept. 99
- Attended the Vice-Chancellors’ Conference & Annual meeting at Mangalore University.
- Attended the South Zone Vice-Chancellors’ Conference and presented a paper on Recent Trends in Medical Informatics with special reference to Telemedicine.
- Apollo Hospitals – Centre for Hospital Management Studies – Feb.’99.
- Christian Medical College, Vellore on 4th October ’99
- Elite School of Optometry, Medical Research Foundation at Chennai on 3rd Sept. 2000.
- Bharathi Womens’ College, Chennai on 19th Sept. 2000.
- Ethiraj College on 10th August ’99
- Symposium on Cornea and Refractive Surgery organised by Sankara Nethralaya –Feb. ’99.
- International Conference on AIDS India 2000 organised by the Tamil nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai on 6th December 2000
- Virtual Resource sharing organised by the Regional Medical Library, Tamil nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai on 28th Feb. 2000.
- Brain Awareness Week at Stanley Medical College, Chennai on 18th March 2000.
- Prof. R. Nanjunda Rao Oration at Chennai on 27th March 2000.
- Workshop on HIV/AIDS Update 2000 held at Thirumangalam on 14th June 2000.
- Symposium on Advances in Technology & Business potential of new Drug Delivery Systems organised by the Controlled Release Society – Indian Chapter, SCITECH Centre, Mumbai and J.S.S. College of Pharmacy, Ooty on 30th Sept. 2000.
- Book release on HIV Disease in India – Handbook for Dental Professionals at Chennai on 17th Sept. 2000.
- 3rd National Workshop on Microsurgery organized by Govt. Stanley Medical College, Chennai on 16th July ’99.
Key note address
- International symposium on Catracts – Molecular and Epidemiological Aspects, organised by Dr. ALM P.G Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chennai on 31st January, 2000.
- National Biomass Gasifier Programme organised by Ministry of Non-conventional Energy Sources and Tamil nadu Energy Development Agency on 5th Feb. 2000.
- World Health Day at the Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University organised by the Department of Transfusion Medicine on 7th April 2000.
- Recent advances in Bio-medical Instrumentation at Anna University, Chennai.
Chief Guest Address
- Workshop on Neuro Ophthalmology at Regional Institute of Ophthalmology and Govt. Ophthalmic Hospital - Jan. ’99
- Periodontology Conference organised by Indian Society of Periodontology, Chennai – Jan. ’99.
- Graduates Reception Day at Chengalpattu Medical College – Feb. ’99.
- Graduates Reception Day at Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai – Feb.’99
- Graduates Reception Day at Tirunelveli Medical College, March ’99.
- 11th Annual Conference of Diabetes Association of India, Southern Chapter on 5th December ’99.
- S.K’s Herbal Medical Hospital & Research Centre & Niamath Science Academy, Chennai.
- Blood Donation Campaign at Madha College, Kunrathur, Chennai on 25th January 2000
- Thirty ninth Annual Conference of the National Academy of Medical Sciences at Chennai on 25th March 2000.
- Annual Day function at J.S.S. College of Pharmacy, Ooty on 9th March 2000.
- Chennai Psychiatrists Guild, Chennai on 5th March 2000.
- College Day Celebration of the Nandha College of Pharmacy & Physiotherapy on 10th Oct. 99.
- Workshop on Podiatry organised by Novo Nordisk Educational Foundation at Chennai 11th Dec. 99.
- Omayal Achi College of Nursing, Chennai on 5th Feb. 2000.
- M.A. Chidambaram College of Nursing on 5th January 2000 at Chennai.
- Pre Millennium Diabetes Update organised by the Andhra Pradesh Diabetes Federation at Chennai on 10th Oct. 99.
- World Health Day organised by the Indian Red Cross Society, Tamil nadu Branch on 7th April 2000.
- During the Inaugural function of the J.S.S. Public School, J.S.S. Mahavidyapeetha, Mysore
- Millennium Management of Breast Cancer organised by the Association of Surgeons of India, Coimbatore City Branch on 14th May 2000.
- International meeting for reducing burden of Diabetic Complications in Developing countries held on 9th April 2000.
- Golden Jubilee Celebration of the Pharmacy Council of India on 21st July 2000.
- Teachers’ Day Celebration organised by the Hindu Senior Secondary School, Chennai on 5th Sept. 2000.
- Chest Meet 2000 organised by the American College of Chest Physicians, South India Chapter on 18th August 2000.
- Pre Millennium Diabetes Update organised by Andhra Pradesh Diabetes Federation on 10th Oct 99.
- Trauma Care Update at Kovai Medical Centre and Hospital, Coimbatore on 16th Sept. 2000.
- Leptospira Diagnosis Training Programme organised by Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, March, ’99.
- Orientation Seminar for College Teachers organised by Rotary Club of Madras, March ’99.
- Scientific Exhibition at St. Isabel Hospital, Chennai, March ’99.
- International Symposium on Diabetes and Atherosclerosis organised by M.V. Diabetes Specialities Centre (P) Ltd, March ’99.
- Short-term course on Telecommunication in Biomedical Engineering at Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry, March ’99.
- First State Annual Conference organised by Cardiological Society of India – T.N. & Pondicherry Chapter at Trichy, March ’99.
- Workshop on Impact on Leprosy at Tuberculosis Research Institute, Chennai, April ’99.
- Workshop and CME on Diagnostic and Therapeutic G.I. Endoscopy organised by Dept. of Gastroenterology, Stanley Medical College, Chennai, April, ’99.
- Hypertension Research Society, June, ’99.
- Southern Regional Conference of Pharmacologists ’99 at IRT Perundurai Medical college, Perundurai, June ’99.
- Workshop for promotion of Health Projects by Professional and Occupational Groups organised by International Union for Health Education, South East Asia Regional Bureau on 9th Jan. 2000.
- Vel R.S. College of Nursing at Vellanur, Chennai on 20th Jan. 2000.
- Midnight Millennium Blood Donation organised by the Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-surgeons held on 23rd Feb. 2000.
- Symposium on Biochemical Forays in Medicine at Meenakshi College for Women, Chennai on 2nd March 2000.
- CME programme for Ophthalmologist at Chennai on 26th March 2000.
- Nephro Update 2000 on 19.3.2000 at Chennai organised by Madras Kidney Trust and Hypertension Research Foundation.
- Symposium on PCR in the Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases organised by Dr.A.L.M. Postgraduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chennai and National Institute of Biologicals, New Delhi on 15th Feb. 2000.
- Workshop on Frontiers in Oncology – Challenges for the next Millennium organised by the Tamil nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University on 10th Feb.2000.
- Workshop on Advanced Laparoscopy at Chennai on 23rd Feb. 2000.
- HIV/AIDS Update 2000 meet at Namakkal organised by the Tamil nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, on 12th April 2000.
- National Conference on the Scope of Siddha Medicine in the new millennium on 15th July 2000 at Chennai.
- Workshop on Vision 2020 at Joseph Eye Hospital, Tiruchirappalli on 17th June 2000.
- International Conference on Laparoscopy and Workshop on Paediatric Surgery and Urology at K.G. Hospital, Coimbatore on 8th July 2000.
- Workshop on Total Knee replacement & Live demonstration at Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai on 29th July 2000.
- Workshop on promotion of Voluntary Blood Donor’s Clubs in affiliated Colleges of the Tamil nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University on 11th April, 2000.
- Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Conference at Madurai on 11th August 2000.
- Workshop on Health Education for Health Promotion at Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai on 12th Nov. 99.
- Seminar on Eye Care organised by the Centenarian Trust, NSS Eye Trust & Aditya Jyot Eye Research Institute.
- 52nd Annual Conference of Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (Tamil nadu & Pondicherry Chapter) on 13th Nov. 99 at Chennai.
- Centenary Year Celebration of the King Institute of Preventive Medicine, Chennai on 11th Oct.99.
Guest / Invitation lecture
- Lecture on Corneal Ulcers – and its Management during Ophthalmological Association Meeting at Nellore.
- Lecture on Medical Sciences and Information Technology during the symposium on the Emergence of India as a Knowledge Super power held on 29th Jan. 2000 at IIT, Chennai.
- Lecture on Ophthalmologist at the University during the 5th Sankara Nethralaya Alumni Meeting on 3rd Sept. 99 at Chennai.
- Lecture on Postgraduate Education in Ophthalmology during the one day workshop on Current Trends in Ophthalmology organised by Sankara Nethralaya on 24th March 2000.
- Delivered lecture during the symposium on Diabetes Care in the new millennium organised by the Diabetes Research Centre & M.V. Hospital for Diabetes on 4th April, ’99.
- Addressed during the XIX State Student Nurses Association Biennial Conference at Chennai on 29th August 2000.
- Clinical Meeting of Indian Chests Society on 30th June 1999 at Chennai.
Radio Talks / Television Interviews
- Participated in “Vanna Mani Maalai” (Live program) as a guest in FM Channel of All India Radio on 17th March 1999.
- Programme on ‘Eye Donation’ on All India Radio on 24th March 1999.
- Television Interview on Sun TV for ‘Vanakkam Tamizhagam’ related to Medical Education held on 18th February 2000.
- Informative talk on Higher Studies in the Tamil nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University and opportunities broadcasted on 25th May, 2000.
National & International Conferences Paper Presentation
- Change in Refraction following Anti-Glaucoma Surgery
- Incompatibility of Gentamycin and Chloramphenicol – In vitro and in vivo study during the All India Ophthalmological Conference, Calcutta, Jan.’82.
- Histopathological Study – 50 Enucleated Globes at Madras State Ophthalmic Conference, Coimbatore, Oct.’82.
- Evaluation of 12 cases of AC-IOL
- Post-operative hyphaema in Eye camp surgery
- Microbiol study of O.R. in Mobile Eye Camp during the Madras State Ophthalmic Association XXXIV Annual Conference, Pondicherry, Oct.’86
- Review of 100 cases of Penetrating Keratoplasty at 36th Conference of the Madras State Ophthalmic Association and Southern Regional Ophthalmic Conference, Trichy
- Donor Tissue Selection – Therapeutic Keratoplasty in Corneal Ulcer at MSOA Conference at Salem, Sept.’89.
- Regrafting – Indications Technique and Evaluation at All India Ophthalmic Surgeions Meeting, Ahmedabad, Jan.’90.
- Keratoplasty – 400 Cases – Analysis at EBOA Meeting
- Control of Astigmatism After IOL Implantation during the CME Programme organised by Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association at Tirunelveli, Sept.90
- Storage of Donor Corneas during the symposium on Recent Advance in Ophthalmology at Tirunelveli, Sept.’90.
- Keratoplasty in Corneal Dystrophies
- Emergency Keratoplasty at All India Ophthalmic Conference, Bangaore, Jan’91.
- Norfloxacin Therapy in Bacterial Conjunctivitis and Corneal Ulcers
- Contact Lens Materials at Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association Conference, Sept. ’91.
- Complications of Radial Keratotomy at Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association Conference, Madras, Sept. ’92.
- Evaluation of Donor Corneas during the Conference organised by the Eye Bank Association of India, New Delhi, Dec. ’92.
- Climatic Keratopathy in Agricultural Workers in South India.
- B.S.S. and Corneal Endothelium Specular Microscopic Study
- HEP in Fungal Keratitis during All India Ophthalmic Association Conference at Jaipur, Feb ’93.
- Are we ready for IOLS in Camp Surgery? at Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association Conference, 1993
- Assessment of Donor Eye during instruction course by All India Ophthalmic Surgeons Conference, Calcutta, Aug, ’93.
- Comparative Analysis of Suturing Techniques
- Evaluation of Donor Cornea at Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association Conference, Madurai, Sept. ’94
- Cornea, Anterior segment and Trauma acted as Moderator during Southern Regional Ophthalmic Conference at Cochin, Nov. ’94.
- Current Status of Transplantation - National Academy of Medical Sciences, March ’95.
- Corneal Complications of Phaco-Assessment, Prevention and Management during Advanced Phacoemulsification Workshop, Jun’95.
- Ocular Trauma during the symposium on Selected Aspects of Trauma Management – American College of Surgeons India Chapter South Zone, Aug.’96.
- Varied Presentations of Moorens Ulcer
- Post Operative Astigmatic Change with IOL
- Herpes Simplex Keratitis – Varied Clinical Manifestations of Primary and Recurrent Cases.
- Management of Herpes Simplex Keratitis by Idoxyuridine at Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association Conference, Salem, Aug, ’96.
- Update on Keratoplasty
- Corneal Blindness – Problems and Solutions at Maharashtra Ophthalmic Conference, Amravathi, Nov.96.
- Bullous Keratopathy – Etiopathogenesis and Management at Tamil nadu Ophthalmic Association Conference, Salem.
- Evaluation of use of Contact Lenses in maintaining binocular vision in unilateral aphakia in children.
- Effect of 10% Povidone iodine in the treatment of Fungal Corneal Ulcers, at Tamil nadu State Ophthalmic Association Conference, Sept. ’97.
- Seminar on Diabetes and the Eye – Diabetes Research Centre, Madras, Jan. ’84.
- 10th Congress of the Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, New Delhi, Feb.’85
- 45th All India Ophthalmological Conference, Hyderabad, Jan. ’87
- 46th All India Ophthalmological Conference, Bombay, Jan. ’88.
- 47th All India Ophthalmological Conference, Madras, Jan.89.
- International Congress of Ophthalmology, Singapore, March, ’90.
- Keratoplasty for the Beginners – Eye Bank Association of India Conference, New Delhi, May ,93.
- Intra Ocular Lens Workshop – Andhra Pradesh State Ophthalmic Society, Jul.’93.
- Pan Ophthalmologica – Singapore, 1993.
List of Publications
- Journals of National Societies
- A case of immune ring of the Cornea – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Indian Journal of Ophthalmology in the year 1975.
- Lymphomatous Pseudo Tumour of the Choroid with Secondary Retinal Detachment – Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 1976.
- Orbital Venogram – A Diagnostic Procedure – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Madras State Ophthalmic Association Journal during February 1977.
- Therapeutic Keratoplasty in Corneal Ulcers – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Madras State Ophthalmic Association Journal in the month of February 1978.
- Study of ‘Follow-up Keratometry in Contact Lens Practise’ – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Madras State Ophthalmic Association Journal in the month of May 1981.
- Congenetial Reditary Corneal Dystrophy – Kerotoplasty and Follow-up – by Dr.K. Ananda Kannan, published in Madras State Ophthalmic Journal in the month of May 1982.
- Neovascular Glaucoma – A review of Management – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Madras State Ophthalmic Association Journal in the month of February 1984.
- Update on Methods of Sterilisation – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan, published in Madras State Ophthalmic Association Journal in the month of November 1984.
- Mycotic Corneal Ulcers – A Therapeutic Trial – by Prof. N. Guhanandan and Dr.K. Ananda Kannan published in Madras State Ophthalmic Association Journal in 1988.
- Medical Audit and Record Keeping – by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan – contribution to souvenir of SROC, Madras.
- Indexed Journals
- ‘Microfilaria Malayi’ in Uveitis’ – Case report by Dr. K. Ananda Kannan and C.P. Gupta published in British Journal of Ophthalmology, Volume 61, No.4, pages 263-264, April 1977.
- ‘Enhanced detection of Herpes Simplex Virus from Ocular Specimens of Herpetic Keratitis Patients’ – by N.P. Pramod, V. Gopalakrishnan, R. Mohan, S. Chandriga, Dr. Ananda Kannan, Thangam Menon, S.P. Thyagarajan, published in Indian J. Pathol. Microbiol. in the year 1998.
- ‘Herpes Simplex Keratitis in South India’ – Clinico-Virological Correlation – article by Dr.N.P. Pramod, P. Rajendran, K. Ananda Kannan and S.P. Thyagarajan published in the Japanese Journal of Ophthalmol in the year 1999.
- ‘Intraocular Gnathostomiasis’ – by K. Ananda Kannan, K. Vasantha and Manoj Venugopal published in the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology in the year 1999.
- ‘Tear Secretory IgA- Evaluation of usefulness as a diagnostic marker in herpetic keratitis authored by N.P. Pramod, E. Dhevahi, K. Sudhamathi, K. Ananda Kannan, S.P. Thyagarajan published in the Ocular Immunology and Inflammation in the year 1999.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction in the Diagnosis of Herpetic Keratitis – Experience in developing country authored by N.P.Pramod, S.P.Thyagarajan, K.V.K.Mohan and Dr.K. Ananda Kannan published in the Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology in the year 2000..
- Acyclovir Resistance in Herpes Simplex Virus Isolates from Keratitis Cases – An analysis from a developing country – by Naranatt Padmanabhan Pramod, Sadras Panchatcharam Thyagarajan, Keta Venkata Krishna Mohan and Kanagasabai Ananda Kannan – which has been accepted for publication in Microbiology Immunology.
- Influence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus status on the Clinical History of Herpes Simplex Keratitis – by N.P. Pramod, R.Hari, K.Sudhamathi, K. Ananda Kannan and S.P. Thyagarajan – which has been accepted for publication in Ophthalmologica.
- Conceived and established the unique concept of Tele-medicine Center at the Tamil nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University in collaboration with Medical Center of Boston International Inc. (MCBI), USA and solely responsible for the donation of equipments to the University by the MCBI worth about US$150,000.
- Created and organized one week free short-term course on Computer Training Program for Health Care Providers for Doctors and Librarians of Govt. Medical Colleges in Tamilnadu in 25 batches with 25 members in each batch.
- Created new Departments in the University like Department of Curriculum Development, Department of Genetics, Department of Immunology & Hospital Administration.
- Created and developed the Model Eye Bank in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology and Govt. Ophthalmic Hospital with the help of Lions Dist.324 A1.