Name & Designation
Dr. Saramma Mini Jacob
Professor & HOD
Profile - Education
M.B.B.S., M.D (Pharmacology)
- Completed one year of compulsory rotatory internship at Lady Bowring Hospital. Bangalore: 1986-1987.
- Worked as Senior House Officer in the Department of Medicine at St. John’s Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore: 1987-1989.
- Worked as Resident Surgeon in the Department of Medicine at Kidwai Institute of Oncology, Bangalore: 1990 (for six months)
- Joined as Research officer (Medical) in the Department of Experimental Medicine of The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai: 1994-2005
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Experimental Medicine of The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai: 2006-2008
- Reader, Department of Experimental Medicine of The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai: 2008-2010
- Professor, Department of Experimental Medicine of The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai: 2010 till date
- Member Secretary of the Ethical Committee of the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University since 2011 till date
- Vice President of Indian Medical Association (South Chennai branch) since 2003 Member of Indian AIDS Society
- Member –Faculty of Bio-Medical Sciences, Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University (12/7/2013 to 11/7/2016)
The laboratory is now accredited by NABL for HIV Testing –MC 2204
- National Reference Laboratory (NRL) for the External Quality Assurance Scheme (EQAS) in HIV testing
- Metabolic abnormalities (diabetes and Lipodystrophy) in HIV Positive Patients receiving Antiretroviral Therapy
- Prevalence of high risk Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) infection in women
- Effect of HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy on ageing in HIV reactive patients- A cross sectional study.
- The impact and issues faced by women infected with HIV in resource constrained setting
- Molecular analysis of antibiotic resistance mechanisms in clinical isolates of Salmonella species
- Jacob M. S, Durairaj A., Vijayakumari J, Srijayanth P, Sivakumar M.R.(2011) Detection of HIV drug resistance mutations in pregnant women receiving single dose Nevirapine in south India. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, 54(2):359-61.
- Anitha D, Mini Jacob S, Ganesan, A, Mary Sushi, K.(2011) Diagnosis of HIV-1 infection in infants using dried blood spots in Tamil Nadu, South India. Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and AIDS, 32(2): 99-102. Ø Ganesan Arumugam, S Mini Jacob, D Anitha, Sivakumar Mampakkam Rajappa. (2011) Occurrence of leptospirosis among suspected cases in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, 54(1):100-2.
- D.Anitha, P.Sumathi, S.Mini Jacob. (2012) Comparative study of venous liquid blood and dried blood for HIV infection in infants. International Journal of Biological & Medical Research, 3(1): 1369-1372. Ø Saramma Mini Jacob, Sivasankaran Premkumar, Ravi Rajkumar, Durairaj Anitha, Kamala Mary Sushi, Ganesan Arumugam. (2013) Comparison of HIV-1 DNA PCR results obtained from fresh and stored dried blood spots of HIV- 1 exposed infants. Innovative Journal of Medical and Health Science 3 (1): 29 – 31.
- D.Anitha, SM. Jacob. (2013) Comparison of results obtained with different volumes of whole blood in human immunodeficiency virus-1 deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase chain reaction technique. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, 31(4):417-8.
- Jacob SM, Ganesan A, Chandrasekar C, Sivasangeetha K, Kumar SJ .(2014) The value of serological testing of Cryptococcal antigen in HIV positive individuals with low CD4 counts- a preliminary report. Transworld Medical Journal. 2 (1): 44-46.
- K. Sivasangeetha, S. Mini Jacob, Mohan Das Joe Chandra, Mayil Vahanan Natarajan, D. Shantharam. (2014) Academic performance of First Year Medical Students in Tamil Nadu, India. Journal of Contemporary Medical Education. 2 (4).222-226.
- K.Mary Sushi, K.Sivasangeetha, A.Suresh Kumar, Pandi Shastri, A.Ganesan, D.Anitha, G.Thatchinamoorthy, S.Mini Jacob. (2014) Seroprevalence of Leptospirosis, Enteric fever and Dengue in patients with acute febrile illness in Tamil Nadu, India. Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research 3 (2): 615-623.
- Kalyanasundaram AP, Jacob SM, Hemalatha Ramachandran, Sivakumar MR. (2015) Serum adiponectin levels and their association with antiretroviral therapy and lipid profile in HIV-infected individuals in South India. Journal of AIDS and Clinical Research. 6 (9): 504.
- S. M. Jacob, K. Sivasangeetha, K. M. Sushi, G. Thatchinamoorthy, D.Anitha and A. Ganesan. (2015) Health Education Program on Leptospirosis among College Students in Chennai, South India. International Journal of Tropical Disease and Health. 7(4): 172- 177.
- Arumugam Ganesan, Saramma Mini Jacob, S Baskaran, K. Sivasangeetha, K. Mary Sushi, D.Anitha. (2015) Assessment of Modified Immunofluorescent Technique for Detection of Human Leptospirosis in Febrile Patients in Chennai, India. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 2 (suppl_1), 1732.
- K. Sivasangeetha, K. Mary Sushi, G. Thatchinamoorthy, S. Mini Jacob. (2015) Health Awareness on Malaria and its recent developments in college students, Chennai, South India. International Journal of Current Research and Review. 7 (17): 15-19.
- Jacob SM, Gopal T, Kanagasabai S, Durairaj A, Sushi KM, Arumugam G. (2015) Herpes simplex virus 2 infection in HIV-seropositive individuals in Tamil Nadu, India. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health. 4 (3): 404-407.
- Sivasangeetha K, Mary Sushi K, Thatchinamoorthy G, Mini Jacob S, Shantharam D. (2015) Influence of Awareness Programme on Tuberculosis in College Students in Chennai. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research. 5(2): 329-334.
- K Sivasangeetha, S Geethalakshmi, G Thatchinamoorthy, P Gouthami, S.Mini Jacob. (2016) Seroprevalence of hepatitis E virus infection and their associated risk factors in pregnant women in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 3 (suppl_1), 423.
- S. Mini Jacob, S. Geethalakshmi, S. Jasmine Abinaya Mary, K. Sivasangeetha, G. Pachiyappan, G. Thatchinamoorthy, P. Gowthami. (2016) Scrub Typhus: A Cause for Pyrexia of Unknown Origin-Scenario in Chennai City, South India. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 3 (suppl_1), 614.
- Kamala Mary Sushi, S Geethalakshmi, K Sivasangeetha, S Mini Jacob, Gopal Thatchinamoorthy, D Anitha, A Ganesan, G Pachiyappan,P. Gowthami. (2016) Social Responsibility leads the way for leadership and engagement of College Students on effective and sustainable HIV responses. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 3 (suppl_1), 2280.
- S Kanagasabai, G Thatchinamoorthy, A Ganesan, G Pachiyappan, P Gouthami, S Valarmathi, S Mini Jacob. (2016) Seroprevalence of Scrub typhus and coinfection with leptospirosis in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 45(1):178.
- SM Jacob, K Sivasangeetha, D Anitha, G Dhavamani (2017) Use of Contraception among Women Living with HIV in Chennai, South India. International Journal of Pharma Research and Health Sciences.5(4): 1785-88
- Jacob SM, Geethalakshmi S, Rani FB, Karthikeyan S, Gopal T, Elumalai S. (2017) A cross-sectional study of Cryptococcal Antigenemia in Anti-Retroviral naive HIV infected patients. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 6(90):6330-2.
- Saramma Mini Jacob. (2018) Non-cognitive factors and its relation to academic performance. Global Bioethics enquiry p.19.
- Workshop for Dried Blood Spots (DBS) testing at National AIDS Research Institute (NARI), Pune from 2nd to 4th June 2014. Ø HIV UPDATE 2014 on 10th July, 2014 Ø Regional TOT for Refresher Training on National Integrated Biological & Behavioural Surveillance (IBBS) at National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai on 10th & 11th September, 2014
- Regional TOT for 14th Round of HIV Sentinel Surveillance at National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai on 8th & 9th December 2014.
- State Level Conference on Raising the Awareness on HIV/AIDS at Arvinth College of Nursing, Namakkal on 17th and 18th November, 2014 Ø Workshop on Tool kit for Technical Assistance conducted by NACO from 17/3/15 to 18/3/15 in Delhi
- Chennai ART Symposium-CART 2015 on March 28th & 29th 2015 Ø Awareness program on Good Clinical Practice organized by Clinical Development Services Agency (CDSA) at Kilpauk Medical College on August 18th 2015
- Awareness program on "Current regulatory requirements for members of Institutional Ethics Committee" held at Kilpauk Medical College on 18th to 20th August 2015 Ø HIV UPDATE 2015 on 8th October 2015 Ø HCV Testing strategies meeting on 23rd and 24th of November, 2015 at NARI, Pune.
- Workshop on Early Infant Diagnosis conducted by Clinton/NACO for the Referral Labs at Mumbai on 28/12/2015
- Poster presented on 5th International Workshop on HIV & Women, 21-22 February 2015, Seattle, USA.
- Training of Trainers on implementing Quality Management System (QMS) on 8th and 9th of February, 2016 conducted by NACO/SHARE , Chennai.
- Conference on "Combating Antimicrobial Resistance-Public health challenge and priority" at New Delhi conducted by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare from 23rd to 25th February 2016.
- Ethics Teachers’ Training Course at SRM University from 11th to 15th April 2016.. Ø Chennai ART Symposium-CART 2016 on April 16th & 17th 2016
- 3T-IBHSc Training Course in Bioethics Training for Health Professionals of Health Science Universities at Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana, Ambala from 25th to 28 April, 2016
- 1st National Conference & Exhibition one Health, Telemedicine and Health ICT at Arvind Eye Hospital, Madurai on 18th June, 2016
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty organized by the TN MGR Medical University & UNESCO Chair Bioethics (Haifa) was held in the Senate Hall of the University from 18th to 20th August.
- CME on Patency on 26th August 2016 Ø CME on Obesity on 21st October 2016
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai from 11th to 13th January, 2017
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur from 16th to 18th February, 2017.
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at KEM and SETH Medical Colleges, Mumbai on 27, 28th Feb & 1st March 2017
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa in Gokulam Medical College, Trivandrum on 8th to 10th March 2017.
- Testing for National HIV Sentinel Surveillance at (NARI) Pune on 22/3/17. Ø National Reference Laboratory In charge meeting at NARI Pune on 23/3/17.
- Chennai ART Symposium-CART 2015 on March 25th & 26th 2017
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry University from 10th to 12th April 2017.
- Training on using the colour coded bins as per Biomedical Waste Management 2016 guidelines conducted by G.J Multiclave Pvt Ltd. on 20/4/17.
- Seminar on Bio-Medical Waste Management 2016 guidelines on 28th June 2017
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at Vellammal Medical College, Madurai from 3rd to 5th July 2017
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program for Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at Chennai Medical College, Trichy from 63/7/17 to 8/7/17.
- Hands on Training in EXCEL on 22nd September 2017 Ø IInd World Bioethics Day Program at the TN Dr MGR Medical University on 20th October, 2017
- National Bioethics Conference at Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore on 20/11/17 to 24/11/17. Ø 3T-IBHSc Training Program Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at Adesh University, Bathinda from 5th to 7th March 2018.
- 3T-IBHSc Training Program Health Science faculty conducted by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa at North East Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences from 9th to 11th March, 2018.
- National Reference Laboratory In charge meeting at National AIDS Research Institute in Pune on 21st March 2018.
- Seminar on National Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical and Health Research involving Human Participants-ICMR 2017 Guidelines.
- Chennai ART Symposium-CART 2015 on April 28th & 29th 2018
- IInd National Training Quality Assurance Camp (UNESCO Chair in Bioethics Haifa) held in Hotel Le Meriden, Chennai from 26/5/18 to 27/5/18.