Department of Medical Education and Curriculum Development
The Department of Medical Education and Curriculum Development started functioning from June 2000 and was formed with the primary purpose of keeping the Medical and Para – Medical Curriculum abreast with the advances in Health Professionals Education and aims to develop need based curricula and also to introduce innovations in Medical and Para-Medical education.
- The Goal of the Medical Education and Curriculum Development Department is to create structured curricula that will be providing the Medical and Para-Medical graduates with essential knowledge, skills and Attitude to carry out their respective role in health care delivery.
- The increasing Internationalisation of Medical Profession has created the need for Globalisation of Medical Education. We have to train our Professionals to International standards
- There has been vast changes in Medical Education because of
- Intrinsic factors such as advancement in knowledge and technology.
- Extrinsic factors such as changes in expectations in the health care delivery.
- The Department of Medical Education and Curriculum Development focuses on training the core group of trainers who will be in the unit and will train others in turn.
- The Department of Medical Education and Curriculum Development involves a series of organizational methods that are focused on achieving optimal student comprehension and application. Growing economic trends and changing lifestyles lead to increased health burden to healthcare system. Work force in the health care sector has to proportionately increase so as to deliver seamless health care to the population.
- Workshop on introduction to Current Concepts in Medical Education was held at Chennai, Madurai and Trichy for the faculties of all Medical Colleges.
- Seminar and workshop on Global Perspectives in Medical Education held at Chennai and Experts form U.K., Nepal, Andhra Pradesh, New Delhi and Bangalore have attended the meeting.
- Workshop on Objectives Structured Practical Examination held at Chennai (OSCE).
- A Training of Trainers Programme organized at NTIC, JIPMER, Pondicherry.
- Workshop on “Ethical Issues in Biomedical Research” held at Chennai.
- The Department of Medical Education and Curriculum Development, entrusted with the responsibility of arranging CME and Seminars, has sponsored many programmes in the Departments of the University and in various Medical and Para Medical Institutions affiliated to the University.
- This University is providing Financial Assistance to the affiliated colleges to conduct CME Programmes and allots CME Credit Points.
Cme Programmes Conducted By The University
- CME on - “VECTOR BORNE DISEASES” - Projecting “WORLD HEALTH DAY – 2014” - “Small Bite and Big Threat” held on 08.04.2014.
- CME on - “RECENT ADVANCES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF TYPE-2 DIABETES MELLITUS” - Projecting “WORLD DIABETIC DAY – 2014” “Healthy Living & Diabetes” held on 19.11.2014.
- “ONCOLOGY CME” - Observing the “WORLD CANCER DAY – 2015” “NOT BEYOND US” held on 06.02.2015
- CME on “FUTURISTIC MEDICINE – CARDIOLOGY” held on 19.08.2015
- UNESCO Bioethics Training Programme held on 18.08.2016 to 20.08.2016
- CME on "Patency" held on 26.08.2016
- The University has planned to provide new courses that would ensure quality care for a diverse population in an ever changing healthcare sector through Education modules that focus on primary care medicine with impetus on critical thinking. The curriculum of the new course will reflect on this higher academic standard while maintaining the excellent outcomes.
Courses Offered by the DME & CD
- Post Doctoral Fellowship Courses (Medical & Dental)
- Fellowship Courses (Medical & Dental)
- Post Graduate Degree / Diploma Courses under Allied Health Science
- Under Graduate Degree / Diploma Courses under Allied Health Science
Courses on Distance Education MOde
- Master in Medicine (Family Medicine) Degree Course
- Refresher Course in Diabetology (6 Months)
- The University has proposed to start Health Virtual Learning Programme for Medical, Dental, AYUSH and Allied Health Science students as well as for faculties. At the first instance,
- The Department of Medical Education and Curriculum Development in collaboration with IIT Madras under National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) of the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India, New Delhi has taken the initiative to develop Curriculum based Educational Video Lectures in Siddha for the benefit of students/faculties and making it available for retrieval at any time / anywhere.
- This University has started this Health Virtual Learning Programme in Siddha, because our University is having seven affiliated colleges out of the Eight colleges in India conducting UG and PG Degree courses in Siddha.
- Curriculum Development in Medical Education should be methodical and scholarly, yet a practical process that addresses the needs of trainees, patients and the society. With this in mind, there is constant upgrading and revamping of the syllabi to suit the current changing developments in Medicine, Surgery and allied subjects. Curriculum is being modified to address the new age and life style diseases and to facilitate the re-emergence of the concept of a family physician.
Dr. S.T. RADHIGA, M.D.,
Professor and HOD,
Dept. of Medical Education and Curriculum Development,
The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University,
No.69, Anna Salai, Guindy, Chennai-32
Phone: 91 44 22355120